EC- September Basic Lay Servant Training
Purchase of the book. A donation will be collected for the noon meal at the church on Saturday. Lodging and other meals are on your own.
The Basic Course is
the foundational course for other leadership training courses. It is designed to equip new leaders and renew current leaders. The course covers the following topics: servant and spiritual leadership, caring ministries, basic communication skills, and sharing your faith. It offers guidelines for best practices as a church leader in mission and ministry. In the course, you are encouraged to discover and employ personal spiritual gifts. The course is designed to help you be a church leader even if public speaking is not your gift. The course is not designed to prepare you to preach. Those who have gifts for preaching may take an advanced course on preaching after this course.
Book to order: Lay Speaking Ministries
, Basic Course, Participant’s Book by Sandy Zeigler Jackson with Brian Jackson. ISBN: 9780881776263. It is available from Discipleship Resources.
Assignments to prepare ahead of the class:
- Read sessions one through five and the biblical reflections. Take notes and list questions you have.
- Find a copy of the current The Book of Discipline. Read Section 103.
- Observe and make notes on the leadership styles of your leaders (past or present) in church, community, or workplace.
- Perform an act of compassion and an act of justice and be ready to describe them, their effects on you, and any potential or realized influence on the recipients.
- Come prepared to share your faith story with at least one other person in the group.
- Find ways to practice hospitality at a church service or during a meeting and be prepared to discuss the effect on you and on the people who received your hospitality.
Bring your Bible, a journal, The Book of Discipline
, and your copy of the Basic Course
Basic Course Facilitators:
Lynn Calvert and Julie Fuessley
Registration information is available by clicking on the attached file.